John Sherriff's Guide to The Oregon Trail on Facebook
Your first task in TOT is to choose a profession to travel as.
Each has some advantages:
- Free at all levels
- A settler gets a higher score in the game. Either travel as one or have a settler in your team to take advantage of this.
- Available from level 3 or pay 10 trail notes (TN) to unlock early
- Explorers travel at a faster rate
- With the spyglass, Searching costs 11 energy instead of 15. With the survivalist skins also searching costs 8 energy. The spyglass is available by paying 1 TN to see the peddler's special inventory and then buying for 15 TN. The survivalist skins can only be bought by the explorer for coins in Oregon City (OC)
NB. There is a penalty for reduced cost searches - you get less XP for each. Counter this by traveling with a teacher in your party which gets you 1 extra XP
- The explorer gets an extra option when people get lost. Choosing this 'Use your know-how to track them down' means that you don't lose time looking for them.
- Available from level 3
- Farmers can buy Farm Rations in Independence and pay $20 for 250 lb It pays to select the farmer occupation then buy farm rations. Then go back and select the occupation you want to travel as
- Farmers food lasts longer
- Farmers get a bonus for delivering Farming Implements to OC
- By using liniment Farmers can completely cure animals
- You need the help of 6 friends to unlock this profession.
- Teachers get one more XP for every event which earns XP so you will get:
- 6 XP for searching
- 11 XP for repairing wagon/hunting
- 1 more XP for each trip completed
- 1 more XP for each achievement or quest which gives XP
- The XP bonus works even if you only have a teacher in your party! Always travel with one in your team.
- The XP bonus does NOT add to the XP bonus given for having the officer's uniform
- Teachers get +100 XP bonus (200 in all) for taking the writing kit to OC
- Available from level 8 or by paying 15 TN to unlock this early
- Bankers earn more money from trade goods.
- With the 'fancy suit' a banker can resell items bought without making a loss
- The most profitable item for the banker to sell in OC is the necklace.
- Available from level 12 or by paying 15 TN to unlock early
- Carpenters wagons stay in better condition
- Carpenters can use spare parts with twice the effect
- Only carpenters can buy carpenter's tools which give 35% better wagon repair bonus.
- Buy the hunter with 25 TN
- Hunters can carry home 213 lb of food after playing the hunting mini-game
- The hunter can buy 'Huntsman's furs' from the peddler (5TN). These give+5 to health when hunting and a slight increase in firepower.
- Hunters can buy a Kentucky rifle which causes more damage and is faster to reload than the standard rifle
- Hunters can buy a Buffalo rifle which gives a one shot kill but isn't as quick to reload as the repeating rifle
- Available at level 20 or unlock for 10 TN
- Soldiers can travel slightly further on stamina. Normally you use 1 stamina per mile. Anyone know what the value is for a soldier?
- Soldiers can buy in OC a Gatling Gun. Only a soldier can use it. It is always able to fight off bandits.
- Soldiers can buy 'war rations' in Independence. $40 for 400lb. This is more expensive than the farm rations ($20 for 250 lb)
- Soldiers can buy an army uniform which reduces the chance of bandit attack.
- Buy for 50 TN
- A doctor has a greater chance of keeping the wagon party free from disease and injury. Cures almost always work. This makes the 'Field Medic' achievement easier.
- A doctor can buy the doctor's bag which improves your team's health
The Fur Trapper
- Buy the Fur Trapper for 50 TN
- Fur trappers can sell skins they collect at a greater price in OC.
- A fur trapper can make the greatest profit by having the Ceremonial Skinning Knife (10 TN from peddler or indians). The most profitable item is the Giant Grizzley Pelt which makes the fur trapper more profit than the necklace does for the banker.
- Unlock with the help of 12 friends
- Naturalists travel further on food and they lose health more slowly
- Naturalists cure almost all diseases and injuries sucessfully.
- Naturalists can eat mushrooms with confidence and without risk of delerium
- Available at level 50 or unlock for 15 TN
- Blacksmith's wagons need fewer repairs and repairs when needed are more sucessful
- Blacksmiths can buy the anvil in Independence which gives a large bonus to wagon repairs. Very useful on the long trail from the Grand Canyon.